convert from ext3 versus fresh format

Hi list,

I have a production system installed on an SSD, whose installer formats
the target drive as ext3 automatically. I've since learned that ext4 is
more suited for use on SSDs and am considering an upgrade to ext4.

I see the procedure on how to convert from ext3 to ext4 on the wiki, and
before I proceed would like to know whether there's an advantage to
formatting as ext4 from the start as opposed to converting after an ext3
format.

In the case that there is a difference, what exactly is sacrificed in
choosing one over the other?

Regards,

-C