Committing changes to an ext3_inode structure

Dear all,

I am experimenting on a 2.6.20.3-ubuntu1 kernel to prototype and evaluate different methods for migrating datablocks for a given inode on the fly.

I have created an ioctl call that implements some verifications and invokes a function I wrote in balloc.c for such migration.

Upon receiving a struct inode*, I retrieve the corresponding iloc using the ext3_get_inode_iloc() function and then the struct ext3_inode* using the ext3_raw_inode() on the iloc. I have confirmed the pointer is correct by printing several ext3_inode relevant fields.

After making my modifications to the i_block array, I am finding it impossible to commit these changes to the inode itself.

I have tried different things such as marking the iloc.bh buffer_head as dirty and submitting it for writing, marking the page as dirty, etc, but I think I'm missing something more fundamental. Most of my attempts were planned according to what I've seen inside similar code of buffer_head manipulation.

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm missing?

Regards,
Felipe