Re: e4defrag and immutable files

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 03:12:04PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 06/02/2010 11:02 AM, Sunil Mushran wrote:
> > "Immutable" means the contents do not change. But the file mappings
> > could change.
> >
> > "Fixed mapping" means the mappings do not change but contents
> > could (as long as the ondisk mappings don't).
> >
> > "Fixed metadata" means the entire inode (mappings included) cannot
> > change but the contents could (as long as the ondisk mappings don't).
> > (This does have the side effect of allowing writes without touching the
> > mtime. Like XFS' invisible i/o.)
> >

> Actually, if you're going to have three flags you might as well make
> them orthogonal.  That is, separate "fixed contents", "fixed mappings",
> "fixed metadata" -- and don't consider the mapping as metadata for this
> purpose.

	I think Sunil was defining terms, not suggesting three flags ;-)
That said, it does allow all the possible characteristics in the
discussion.  The only ugly think I can see is that we'll have three new
flags, plus the old immutable flag that means the same as setting all
three new flags.

Joel

--

"But all my words come back to me