RFC: EXT4 Defrag Specification (Draft)

Hello.

I am very interested in EXT4's defrag capabilities. I haven't been able to find much documentation on them or even a formal specification for them. I was hoping to help nudge the process along by drafting the specification that I have been unable to find.

Please keep in mind that I am a newbie when it comes to kernel programming. I may be way off on my assumptions or seriously misinformed, or perhaps you already have a plan and I was simply unable to find it. Please do not hold it against me. Also, I was hoping to be further along before posting. However, people were starting to ask questions, so I figured it was better to post an incomplete draft and finish it out later.

Please let me know what you think of the draft thus far. Thank you for your time.

http://www.josephdwagner.info/ext4_defrag_specs.html

Joseph D. Wagner