Re: ext5

On 2010-02-10 15:50, tytso@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:40:05AM +0100, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
will there be ext5? ext4 works just fine so far. but it could be
even more faster. otherwise i have to jump to btrfs (when it's
done).

We currently don't have any plans for an "ext5".  There might be some
new features that might gradually trickle into ext4; for example
there's someone who I may be mentoring who is interested in working on
an idea I've had to add read-only compression to ext4.  (Actually, the
design I've sketched out makes 90% of the work be file system
independent, so it's something that could be retrofitted into other
filesystems: xfs, btrfs, etc.)

I guess that means every file on the fs?

Windows-like per-file compression would be darned useful in certain circumstances. Big mbox files, for example.

--
"Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned."
Walt