Re: (resend) extent header problems following shrink with resize2fs

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 06:49:15PM +1300, Paul Collins wrote:
> (resending without gipped attachment)
>
> Yesterday I created a ~464GB ext4 volume and copied about 107GB of music
> files onto it.  Then I decided that I wanted to use half of the disk for
> something else, so last night I resized the ext4 filesystem to ~232GB
> and recreated the partitions to suit.  This morning I wrote some new
> files to the ext4 filesystem, which went fine.  Then I installed a new
> music player, which wanted to scan all of the files on the disk.  It
> reported being unable to read some files, and there's rather a lot of
> this sort of thing in dmesg (see also http://ondioline.org/~paul/e4dmesg.gz):

Yeah, resize2fs needs to be fixed to handle extents correctly.  At the
moment it can screw them up pretty badly.  I'll log this as a bug to
resize2fs; thanks for reporting it, and I hope you didn't suffer any
permanent data loss.

Regards,

							- Ted