Re: ext4 unlink performance

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 07:56:10PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
>   Bruce, how much memory did you have in your
> system?  Do you have a large amount of memory, say 6-8 gigs, by any
> chance?

The test system has 1.5GB RAM.

> One thing is clear --- we need to rethink our block and inode
> allocation algorithms in light of delayed allocation.  Maybe XFS has
> some tricks up its sleeve that we can learn from?

Just so I am clear as well, I fully realize this is quite an artifical
benchmark.  I asked about it because of how large the regression is.  I
deal with many systems that typically have to handle creating and
unlinking large numbers of small files (mail servers).  They all are
running ext3 now, but I am considering switching them to ext4 once
2.6.28 is out.  As such my big concern is that this regression will
cause performance problems for them.

--
Bruce Guenter <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                http://untroubled.org/