Re: Call traces on console from a test machine

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> You can run "tune2fs -O ^uninit_bg /dev/XXX" to disable the group
> descriptor checksums (and, unfortunately, the fast fsck benefits),
> but at least it will allow you to mount the filesystem.

Thank you, we'll keep that in mind in case there is a next time. (Knock on wood.)

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 06:16:48PM -0800, Kelly Kane wrote:
Same block group each run through, different inode.

That's very strange...  and it's also strange that it would be
constantly changing.  What version of e2fsprogs are you using?

It eventually started picking the same file each time. After about 5 runs through I thought I saw a trend. We are using e2fsprogs 1.41.3 compiled from source.

I ran e2image and produced the following file:

http://ext4dev.dreamhosters.com/watanabe-home-2008-11-13-1712.e2image.bz2

Unfortunately, I need a raw image dump in order to be able to debug
this.  Can you create it using:

e2image -r /dev/sdXX -  | bzip2 > /tmp/sdXX.e2i.bz2

... and send it to me?

Sure. Once we finish restoring the data off the old partition I can do this. If that file is of no use I will delete the source files. The filesystem has been more heavily modified since the above image was created, details below.

What's the underlying hardware for this filesystem, and I hate to ask
it, but are you sure it's not a hardware problem?

One thing you can do is to use e2image to create a sparse file on
another filesystem:

e2image -r /dev/sdXX /u2/sdXX.e2i

We have of course not ruled anything out. We will put the hardware through its paces before wiping it. I'll give this a go later as well.

The server is an intel xeon server on a supermicro board with a 3ware 9690SE-8LPML w/ BBU, using Seagate 1tb 7200.11 disks. (ST31000340AS) We have an identical test server setup called `ext4dev` for use in troubleshooting this stuff. Sandeen has direct access to this machine, more accounts can be provided by him or myself via private email. It has a copy of our kernel source tree, sudo access, etc.

I eventually got the filesystem mounted by answering "yes" to fix the block group checksum error, "no" to all of the Pass 2 inode errors, and "yes" to the pass 5 "fix bitmap inconsistency" (or something) error. It does not cleanly fsck, still, but I can read data off it.

Thanks again,
Kelly