Re: delalloc and reservation.

Alex Tomas wrote:
Hi,

could you try the patch attached. it should fix the issue. the idea
was to align requests in order to help raid5-like setups. but somewhere
I lost one bit in mballoc: it should pre-allocate all crossed stripes,
but it didn't.

as for discard, lustre doesn't use open/close for data, so discard-on-close
makes zero sense in our case. I'm not very positive whether we need to
drop preallocation on file close in case of delayed allocation as writeback
can be started while file is open and finish after close(2).

mballoc by default doesn't give the particular layout only if i force small
size to use inode preallocation i am hitting the problem. ie to change the
below line in ext4_mb_group_or_file

if (ac->ac_o_ex.fe_len >= sbi->s_mb_small_req)

if (ac->ac_o_ex.fe_len <= sbi->s_mb_small_req)

Do you want to test the patch with this change ?

We are observing the problem with delalloc and nomballoc.

-aneesh
-