Re: net: switchdev: Port-to-Bridge Synchronization

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 12:38:05AM +0100, Tobias Waldekranz wrote:
> Hello netdev,
>
> Let me start by describing an issue that I have found in the
> bridge/switchdev replay logic, which will lead to a larger question
> about how switchdev ports are synchronized with a bridge. Anyway, on the
> bug!
>
> The steps to reproduce the issue are very simple on my board, but I've
> never seen it before, so it could be that you need a pretty fast (by
> embedded standards) SMP CPU to trigger the race.
>
> Hardware:
> - Marvell CN9130 SoC
> - Marvell 88E6393X Switch
>
> Steps:
> 1. Create a bridge with multicast snooping enabled
> 2. Attach an switch port to the bridge
> 3. Remove the bridge
>
> If (2) is done immediately after (1), then my switch's hardware MDB will
> be left with two orphan entries after removing the bridge (3).
>
> On a system running net-next with the switchdev tracepoint series[1]
> applied, this is what it looks like (with comm, pid, timestamp
> etc. trimmed from the trace output to make the lines a bit narrower,
> with an event number added instead):
>
> root@infix-06-0b-00:~$ echo 1 >/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/switchdev/enable
> root@infix-06-0b-00:~$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_pipe | grep HOST_MDB &
> [1] 2602
> root@infix-06-0b-00:~$ ip link add dev br0 up type bridge mcast_snooping 1 && ip link set dev x3 up master br0
> 01: switchdev_defer: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x4 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:ff:87:e4:3f
> 02: switchdev_defer: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x4 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:00:00:00:6a
> 03: switchdev_call_replay: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x0 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:00:00:00:6a -> 0
> 04: switchdev_call_replay: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x0 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:ff:87:e4:3f -> 0
> 05: switchdev_call_blocking: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x4 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:ff:87:e4:3f -> 0
> 06: switchdev_call_blocking: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x4 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:00:00:00:6a -> 0
> 07: switchdev_defer: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x4 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:00:00:00:fb
> 08: switchdev_call_blocking: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_ADD HOST_MDB(flags 0x4 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:00:00:00:fb -> 0
> root@infix-06-0b-00:~$ ip link del dev br0
> 09: switchdev_call_replay: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_DEL HOST_MDB(flags 0x0 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:00:00:00:fb -> 0
> 10: switchdev_call_replay: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_DEL HOST_MDB(flags 0x0 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:00:00:00:6a -> 0
> 11: switchdev_call_replay: dev x3 PORT_OBJ_DEL HOST_MDB(flags 0x0 orig br0) vid 0 addr 33:33:ff:87:e4:3f -> 0
> root@infix-06-0b-00:~$ mvls atu
> ADDRESS             FID  STATE      Q  F  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a
> DEV:0 Marvell 88E6393X
> 33:33:00:00:00:6a     1  static     -  -  0  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
> [...]

Please expect a few weeks from my side until I could take a close look
at this. Otherwise, here are some superficial (and maybe impractical) ideas.

I agree that the replay procedures race with the data path. Let's try to
concentrate on one at a time, and then see how the others are different.

We seem to need to distinguish the events that happened before the
SWITCHDEV_BRPORT_OFFLOADED event from those that happened afterwards.
The SWITCHDEV_BRPORT_OFFLOADED event itself runs under rtnl_lock()
protection, and so does switchdev_deferred_process(). So, purely from a
switchdev driver API perspective, things are relatively coarse grained,
and the order of operations within the NETDEV_CHANGEUPPER handler is not
very important, because at the end of the day, only this is: before
NETDEV_CHANGEUPPER, the port is not ready to process deferred switchdev
events, and after NETDEV_CHANGEUPPER, it is.

The problem is figuring out, during this relatively large rtnl_lock()
section, where to delineate events that are 'before' vs 'after'. We must
only replay what's 'before'.

Multicast database entries seem to have br->multicast_lock for serializing
writers. Currently we are not acquiring that during replay.

I'm thinking we could do something like this in br_switchdev_mdb_replay().
We could block concurrent callers to br_switchdev_mdb_notify() by
acquiring br->multicast_lock, so that br->mdb_list stays constant for a
while.

Then, after constructing the local mdb_list, the problem is that it
still contains some SWITCHDEV_F_DEFER elements which are pending a call
switchdev_deferred_process(). But that can't run currently, so we can
iterate through switchdev's "deferred" list and remove them from the
replay list, if we figure out some sort of reliable switchdev object
comparison function. Then we can safely release br->multicast_lock.

The big problem I see is that FDB notifications don't work that way.
They are also deferred, but all the deferred processing is on the
switchdev driver side, not on the bridge side. One of the reasons is
that the deferred side should not need rtnl_lock() at all. I don't see
how this model would scale to FDB processing.