Re: [RFC net-next 6/9] net: dsa: Forward offloading

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 11:01:09AM +0200, Tobias Waldekranz wrote:

> >> Sure, but _why_ should it not exist? Many fields in the tag can only be
> >> correctly generated/interpreted in combination with knowledge of the
> >> current configuration, which is the driver's domain. The dependency is
> >> already there, etched in silicon.
> >
> > I'm a bit more of a pragmatic person,
>
> Excuse me sir, I believe you left your dagger IN MY HEART :)

You might have misinterpreted my words, I did not mean to say "look what
a good quality I have and you don't", in fact I don't view pragmatism as
much of a desirable quality at all. What I meant to say in the context
is that, even though in general I value functionality more than how it
is implemented, I would still like to keep the separation between
taggers and switch drivers at least at the most basic RX/TX level, for
the reasons explained.