Re: vlan "aware" bridges

On 08/25/2015 11:21 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 20:59:14 +0200
> Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> through the cumulus documentation I learned that there apparently now
>> exists a way to create a single bridge that allows vlan filtering rather
>> than the old method using an individual bridge for each vlan.
>> That documentation only uses this new bridge model in the context of
>> their new ifupdown2 tool though.
>>
>> Is there any practical documentation out there or some
>> tutorials/examples that explain how to use/configure such a vlan aware
>> bridge using the basic bridge/ip toolset?
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Dennis
>
> Did you look in current iproute2 man pages.

I've looked at the man pages but they only contain information about the
syntax of the commands and don't give any explanation of the bigger
picture of examples of common possible setups.
I can find plenty of examples on the net when it comes to the
"traditional" one-bridge-per-vlan setup but none that explain similar
setups for the vlan aware bridge.
In fact there seem to be few people out there who even know about this
probably because this seems to be a bit of a secret right now because of
a lack of documentation.

Regards,
  Dennis