Configuration-messages from root switch hello-timer not forwarded

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a simple ring-netwerk using a managed switch as root (an HP ProCurve 2512) and some mini-ITX boards with 2 network-interfaces.

Initial setup is working fine but when I add a node B to a deeper level (so [switch] → [node A] → [node B] → [node C] → [switch]) I get the following error-messages on node about 20 seconds after initialization complets (when the message age timer expires)

br0: port 1(eth0) neighbor 8000.00:0d:b9:1c:66:20 lost
br0: topology change detected, propagating

which causes a reconfiguration of the network, and if there's any loops causes blocking and relearning of the tree, with lots of traffic being generated.

net_ratelimit: 35664 callbacks suppressed
br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

When I look at one of the upstream-nodes (A or C) they do receive hello messages within the message window (on their designated port) but do not seem to forward them to their other interfaces.

The bridges are created with the following commands:

brctl addbr br0
brctl stp on
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
ifconfig br0 up

eth0 and eth1 have no further configuration and are declared manual interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces. I'm running Voyage Linux (kernel-version is 2.6.35).

Your help is very much appreciated, as I would like to use this setup as a redundancy tool for an event next tuesday.

Thanks,
Pieter De Baets