Re: RFC: Simple Private VLAN impl. (Paul Congdon)

> In the virtualization case, I think it's actually easier: do it via
> MAC addresses instead of interfaces.  In this case, since you're
> creating the virtual environments, you'll know the MAC address that
> gets generated for each VE.
>
> 1) Set your policy to deny.
> 2) Permit all frames destined to/from the promiscuous MACs.
> 3) Permit all broadcast frames to the promiscuous MACs.
>
> That takes care of the "isolated" use case.  If you need to support
> the "community" case:
> 4) Add pairwise bidirectional rules to permit communications between
> each MAC in a community.
>
> Why is this easier?  Since you know the MACs of the VEs, you have a
> trivial way of identifying the rules associated with a VE.  This way,
> you know what rules to spin up and remove during the turnup or
> disabling of a VE.  Moreover, since all of the rules permit specific
> traffic, the order doesn't even matter.

Ross certainly has a point.  I believe there is perhaps yet
another better way to handle this scenario.  It is called
VEPA = Virtual Ethernet Port Aggregation.  It is definitely
easier than PVLANs for VMs and there are no additional ebtables
rules required.

A patch should be coming for this later today or tomorrow.  See:

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2009/new-hudson-vepa_seminar-20090
514d.pdf

for details.

Paul