Re: Looking at impl. Private VLAN

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 05:35:55PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> I am looking into impl Private VLAN(or part thereof) as specified by
>  http://www.rfc-editor.org/internet-drafts/draft-sanjib-private-vlan-10.txt
>
> Would that be a welcome addition to the linux bride or is there
> a better method for doing "Private VLAN"?

It should be pretty simple to cook up a private VLAN setup using
ebtables.  At the simplest level, you could simply write policy to
only permit frames between specified interfaces.  In this way, each
group of interfaces would represent a private VLAN.

But ebtables is pretty flexible - with the right ruleset, you should
be able to cook up all kinds of crazy, fun stuff!

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@xxxxxxxxxxx

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie