Re: Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

richardvoigt@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Jochen Hebbrecht
> <jochenhebbrecht@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jochenhebbrecht@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I changed the configuration and restarted the networking daemon. I'm
>     getting this output
>
>     jochus@Bacardi ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
>      * Reconfiguring network
>     interfaces...
>     ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
>     Failed to open l2_packet connection for the bridge interface 'br0'
>     wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
>     run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return
>     code 1
>
>     Waiting for br0 to get ready (MAXWAIT is 32 seconds).
>

> Surely things are getting run in the wrong order.
>
> First, the bridge should be created.
> Then, the interfaces should be configured, joined to the bridge, and
> brought up.
> Then wpa_supplicant should run.
> After wpa_supplicant associates to the wireless access point, then dhcp
> should succeed.
>
> It seems like ubuntu's network scripts don't create the bridge until too
> late.

I agree with Richard.

Jochen, can you please try the following configuration (step #5 in my
previous e-mail) ?

#auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

#auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eth0 eth1
# the wpa-iface option is expected to instruct wpa_supplicant
# to setup the wifi link using eth1 instead of br0.
wpa-iface eth1
wpa-driver wext
wpa-ssid ##SSID##
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-proto RSN
wpa-pairwise CCMP
wpa-group CCMP
wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
wpa-psk ##PSK KEY##
# The wpa-bridge option is expected to instruct wpa_supplicant
# to listen on br0 instead of eth1.
wpa-bridge br0

And if this fail, please try the same configuration, without the
wpa-bridge option.

If both fail, please provide the list of files in /etc/network/if*/*.

	Nicolas.