Re: 802.1q packets

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Fulvio Ricciardi <fulvio.ricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That mostly rules out other devices in the path as the
> cause of the problem.  There's just one chance of a
> netfilter interaction that I can think of: netfilter may
> cause fragments to be recombined, without netfilter the
> fragments could be bridged.  Are you running the ping
> command from the bridge itself, or across the bridge? (I
> presume across the bridge because you are discussing the
> FORWARD chain only)

I ping across the bridge. If instead a ping from the bridge
itself, all works right.

> Do the large ping requests show up in the iptables
> counters?

Yes, in any case (either ping -s 1472 and ping -s 1473) the
packets are counted in the FORWARD chain.

> What happens if you set no fragmentation when you run
> ping?

it's the same

Just to verify, you mean that with no fragmentation, large pings go through if and only if bridge-nf-call-iptables is disabled?

I would expect large pings to be dropped irregardless of the bridge-nf-call-iptables option when the no fragmentation bit is set, based on your scenario.

Thanks
Fulvio