Re: Ethernet+Wireless Bridge?

Thank you so much for your replies! REALLY!!!!

Mark S. Mathews mark-at-linux-wlan.com |Lists| wrote:
> Heh.  I think the reason most folks think this should 'just work' is
>  because: "hey, it's wireless ethernet, right?", wrong.  You can't
> ether-bridge natively across rs232, or bluetooth, or [any one of a
> hundred non-ethernet media]  either.

Ok, thanks! So all the howto's that simply suggest to do brctl and
ifconfig as if there are no problems are simply *wrong*. Glad to get
that cleared up. I thought I was going mad!

> If your config consists of a STA and an AP, then the most forthright
>  solution (not necessarily easy, mind you...takes a bit of tweaking
> to get it right) is to tunnel your ethernet frames across that link.
> I've used vtun for this purpose in the past.
>
> And, as John pointed out, using routing, with or without NAT, is even
>  easier. Do you _really_ have to have a bridge?

No, I don't _really_ have to. :-) But it annoys me not knowing *why* it
doesn't work, especially with bozos telling me it is easy.

The ADSL / phone line comes into the house in a very impractical place.
I have servers + switch in one place, and some other equipment in
another. I'd like to connect these into a single subnet with a
wireless+ethernet bridge in each island. Sorta like the Linksys Wet 54
claims to do:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1134692497433&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=9743339789B05

 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi :
> Wireless network bridges connect a wired network to a wireless
> network. This is different from an access point in the sense that an
> access point connects wireless devices to a wired network at the
> data-link layer.

So now I'm still clueless. The Linksys apparatus seems to do what I
need. It seems not to be an Access Point. Does this mean the Linksys
above is "using a WDS interface", and does not run as STA?

Honestly, from your emails I can hear it is not easy, but I'm still not
clear whether this is possible under Linux. Apparently it *is* possible
for the Linksys to do it...

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch