Re: Feature enhancement - Disable unicast flooding

I looked at ebtables initially. My first plan was to use a perl script using pcap to listen on the interfaces and generate ebtables rules as new hosts are detected.

I had two concerns with this approach, the first is that there are approx 1000 hosts on the vlans I'm working with, which is a lot of ebtables rules (linked-lists are used, and hence forwarding performance would suffer - is this correct?).

The second concern is that the hardware I'm using are little embedded boxes (Soekris), so with only a 133Mhz CPU, any helper scripts I use to maintain the ebtables rules are going to use precious CPU resources I would rather were available for forwarding.

Given those concerns, I decided I was essentially duplicating the learning process that already exists in the bridging code, and hence duplicating effort rather inefficiently.

That said, a dedicated ebtables module, one that possibly references the existing bridging database might be a plan? I have no experience writing modules like that, how easy/hard would it be to write such a module?

Thanks,

Dylan

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 11:11 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:29:31 +1200
Dylan Hall <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the project I'm working on I require that the bridging code not
> flood unicast frames when the destination mac address is unknown,
> similar to Cisco's "switchport block unicast" feature
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805a761a.html#wp1087814).
>
> I have produced a small patch (against 2.6.20.4) to control this feature
> per bridge (rather than per port like a Cisco).
>
> Have I gone about implementing this correctly?
>
> Is this something other people may find useful, and hence worth
> incorporating into the mainstream code?
>
> Is it worth the effort of taking this one step further, and controlling
> the behaviour per port rather than per bridge?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dylan

Maybe. But this kind of thing is better done with a ebtables module.
That way it can be more easily integrated with other security stuff.