[Bridge] Monitor the status of two ethernet interface

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:39:12 +0000
"Jie Chen" <cj70286 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope everybody had a great holiday.
>
> I got a question in applying ethernet bridge in Linux boxes. The scenario
> I'm trying to simulate is like this:  I have 3 linux boxes in total,
> everyone has 2 ethernet ports, one port is connected to Power line modem,
> and the other to wifi modem. The power line modem failed, so it's the same
> as I have just one port for each. I put them apart, Box A is in one end, and
> Box C is in another end, and Box B in the middle, so that Box A can talk to
> B but not C. Box B can talk to A and C. Box C and talk to B but not A. Now I
> set bridge on, the question is am I able to let A and C talk?
>
> The reason I have this question is according to bridge, B get packets from A
> on one port, and suppose to deliver to C from the other port, but the other
> port didn't work. So I would think the packets can't be delivered from A to
> C, is that the case?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Jie

True bridging to Wifi won't usually work see the http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Bridge

The problem is that internally Wifi is not a Bus network like Ethernet, but
is really point-to-point from host to access point.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at osdl.org>