[Bridge] Problems with Bridging 3 pc's network

Filippo Graziola wrote:
> Hi sir,
> I'm a student of Trento University and I'm working on
> a network
> project. I need to create a network like this:
>
> PC.1>--ethernet cable-->MAIN_PC(ubuntu
> linux)>------wireless----->PC.2
>
> PC.1 ip: 192.168.0.1
> MAIN_PC ip: 192.168.0.2
> PC.2 ip: 192.168.0.3
> netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> I followed the instruction of the HOWTO and I made a
> bridge on MAIN_PC.
> Previously I set the wireless interface (eth0 - intel
> 2200B/G) with
> ad-hoc mode and I gave it a essid and a channel.
> Without the bridge I can
> ping from MAIN_PC all the others but I noticed that
> when the bridge is
> up I can't ping from the PC.2 the PC.1 (problem nr°1)
> and I can ping
> from PC.2 the MAIN_PC only for a short start time
> (problem nr°2).
>
> When I give this command as root:
>
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> this is the answer:
>
> bash: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward: Permission denied

This is not the cause of your problem.  You are trying to
bridge ethernet packets at layer 2, not route IP packets
at layer 3.

> Maybe I think this is the reason because I get problem
> nr°1, is it
> true?
> What should I do?

  * Do a "brctl show" and send the results to the list.

  * Do an "ifconfig -a" and send the results to the list.

You may have an IP address problem.  After you have added interfaces
(e.g. eth0 and wlan0) to a bridge (br0) you must remove the IP addresses
from the interfaces with, for example,  "ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up" and "ifconfig
wlan 0.0.0.0 up", and then apply the IP address to br0, e.g. "ifconfig
br0 192.168.0.2 up"

Alex