[Bridge] Re: Interface MAC address assignment

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:48:23 -0800
"Ashley Hatch" <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - SUMMARY -
>
> It seems like you should be able to assign your MAC on the bridging
> interfaces for IP L2 -> L3 mappings, or at least choose which NIC
> supplies the MAC.
>
> Since my L2 mapping to my L3 address has nothing to do with my STP
> bridge ID, why can't we decouple them and have MAC locking or setting
> as an option to BRCTL and the kernel module so that brctl could
> prefer a NIC or ifconfig could set it for the purposes of IP?
>
> - END SUMMARY -
>
> Presently the system choose the lowest MAC for the purposes of STP
> and also assigns this MAC for the purposes of IP. This is fine for
> STP but certainly unnecessary for IP. The bridge ID and the IP/MAC do
> not need to be the same and in some cases certainly should not be
> (unless I'm missing something obvious).
>
> I have looked through the code of brctl and the ethernet bridging
> code in the kernel and I have not found a way to resolve the
> following issue short of recoding it, and I can't seem to get a
> google search to help either.
>
> When I create a bridging interface doing something like this:
>
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 eth1
>
> The resulting MAC address of the interface br0 is the lowest of all
> MACs. From an STP standpoint, this makes sense. I am using VMWARE
> virtual interfaces on a few machines, and these MACs are lower than
> some of my real NICs. They are not unique however. So when I bridge
> my virtual net and vmnet I sometimes get non-unique MACs on my real
> L2 network and the machines with the non-unique MAC of course cannot
> communicate. What I am doing to get around this is assign my REAL NIC
> MACs from OUIs which make them lower than the vmnet OUI. That feels
> tacky and wrong.
>
> I thought to myself, "I'll just assign BR0 the MAC of my NIC (which
> is higher than VMNET2)." Alas
>
> ifconfig br0 hw ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>
> Gives an ioctl error, and indeed is insupported in the kernel as far
> as I can tell. A buddy of mine and I are trying to hack it in, but it
> seems like something that should be in the mainline of the kernel.
>
> If noone in briding is willing to support it, will someone consider a
> patch to do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashley Hatch
> Senior Network Engineer - UNLV

In 2.6.15 or later it can be changed to any of the existing interfaces.
I allowed that because it won't break the forwarding tables, and only
slightly effects STP.  (There is a higher risk of STP cycles).

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
OSDL http://developer.osdl.org/~shemminger