[Bridge] eth0- can't enslave to br0, but eth0 is down and not part of a bridge!

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:11:33 -0800
<wandering.womble@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there-
>
> perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but the subject summerizes what
> I get everytime when I try the following:
>
> eth0 is up and running, as bought up by booting.
>
> $ ifconfig eth0 down
> $ brctl show
> -> empty list, no bridges
> $ brctl addbr br0
> $ brctl show
> -> shows br0, no enslaved devices
> $ brctl addif br0 eth0
> -> Device eth0 is already a member of a bridge: can't enslave it to bridge br0.
> $ brctl addif br0 tap0
> -> ok
> $ brctl show
> -> lists br0, with tap0 as interface
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Or is this not the expected behaviour- and if not, any suggestions for
> how to fix it?
>
> Note: I'm also getting kernel panics (see my previous post), but I've
> found the above ordering at least doesn't take the system down.
>
> Further note: eth0 is using the sis900 driver, loaded as a module.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated- this is a real annoyance.
>
> Thanks in advance-
>
> Julian

Need to know. Kernel version, and what kind of device eth0 is.
I suspect there is a build problem or module mismatch, since the test
for a device being member of a bridge is just a check for pointer in
device structure.  If you built bridge separately, and kernel was not configured
to enable bridging, then the bridge pointer in the net device structure would not
have existed and would be used for something elese.