[Bridge] htb accounting on bridge interface

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:34:23 -0800 (PST)
Ady Deac <adydeac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am using a linux bridge as an internet gateway. I have eth0 as the external interface, eth1 and
> tap0 (OpenVPN) bridged together (br0). I was trying to make a seamless accounting for br0 with tc
> and htb (hand made scripts). The accounting is not working for br0, instead I have to make
> accounting on eth1 and tap0.
> Is this the right way? I only want to limit the trafic between eth1 and eth0 + viceversa and tap0
> and eth + viceversa.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ady Deac

The bridge interface itself normally doesn't have an output queue for
queuing stuff to hang off because it is not limited by a single hardware
device. You can place a queue there with traffic control tools, but
it would only make sense if doing rate control.

Also br0 is only invoked for locally generated packets. If you are a gateway,
all traffic passing through never touches the br0 pseudo-interface.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
OSDL http://developer.osdl.org/~shemminger