[Bridge] how to silence the "br0: port X(ethX) doing something" messages?

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:33:06 +0300 (EEST)
> Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm just wondering how one can make the bridging tools stop spamming
>> the virtual consoles? I would rather have all those "entering
>> forwarding state", "entering learning state" and "entering disabled
>> state" messages go to a log than have them plastered all over
>> whichever console I happened to be logged into to work.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Assuming you are running relatively recent kernel, the messages show up
> at loglevel 6 (informational).

Noted.

Linux omena 2.6.11-imac #2 Thu Jun 23 11:44:22 EEST 2005 ppc GNU/Linux

...and other similar 2.6 kernels also on my i386 and hppa hosts.

> You need to change the console log level and possibly change syslog.conf.

> To change console log level, either boot without "debug" on the command line,
> preferably with "quiet" on the command line.

Sorry, to which kernel option are you refering, exactly?

My bootloader options are already rather spartan as it is; no debug there:

root=/dev/hda1 ro elevator=cfq

> In /etc/syslog.conf look for anylines of the form:
>
> 	kern.*	/dev/console
>
> and either comment it out completely, or change the '*' to
>
> 	kern.notice	/dev/console

The only item that could reach the console there is:

*.emerg         *

All other logs are configured to go to specific log files.

--
Martin-Eric Racine
http://q-funk.iki.fi