[Bridge] Re: 2.6.8 bridging with large packets question

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:46:02 -0800
Ted Deppner <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've got a multicast video application where I'm using a bridge to get
> duplicated multicast output on each of two physical interfaces.
>
> eg br0 -> eth0 & eth1.
> ifconfig br0 x.x.x.x
> route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 br0
>
> This works perfectly for standard 1500 byte data packets (meaning they
> don't need to fragment).  However, if I use 4096 byte data packets, which
> obviously must fragment to go on the ethernet, then the packets only go
> out the last interface in the bridge, ie eth1.  There's no packets going
> out eth0.

Bridging implements a IEEE 802.2 bridge.  This means it is protocol independent,
it doesn't know what a IP packet is.  It's the standard, this is the correct
behaviour.

> Can you comment on this?  Has this been resolved in a later version of the
> kernel, or is there an option I can tweak?

You could use ebtables (netfilter for bridging), to process data and fragment
as needed.