[Bridge] recent 2.6 kernels hang on bridge shutdown - solved

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:51:18 +0100
Santiago Garcia Mantinan <bridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > Are you running IPV6? if so it is most likely related to IPV6.
> > Yes, indeed.
> > Since I currently don't need IPv6, I disabled it - problem solved.
>
> This is not related to IPv6 at all, several people have reported it to me
> and don't run IPv6 or have support for it in their kernels.
>
> However, it is not easy to reproduce this problem, it happens to me only on
> one of my machines, and only sometimes, and it doesn't happen on any of my
> other bridges, I've been trying to get the steps to reproduce it but I'm not
> able :-(
>
> Mirko, if you can do more tests, maybe you find that your machine it still
> suffers from this.
>
> Regards...
> --
> Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net

This has started a discussion among the IPV6 developer's there are several
problems with IPV6, most of them related to bringing the loopback interface
down.  This is because the route cache knows about loopback and redirects
references to a device that is going down (bridge or ethernet), to the
"known always there" loopback device.

Also, you don't have to be actually running IPV6, just have it loaded which
is the default on most distros.

--
Stephen Hemminger	<shemminger@xxxxxxxx>