[Bridge] Packet loss / performance

Stephen,

Thanks for the response.  My reply follows:

Actually, it's a PCI-X @ 133Mhz.

> Did you try affiniting both eth's to same CPU.

Yep, I tried with both on a single CPU, but the problem is that the eth
interfaces generate interrupts, so you need to spread the load between the
two.  Of course, NAPI helps.

> Are you always forwarding from/to same MAC address.

Yes, same MAC.

> Then figure out where they are being dropped
> (in board, e1000 driver ring, or bridge).

I would love to know how to better determine this.  It's a little opaque to
me at the moment.  Where can I determine this?  I've been using
/proc/net/dev to see the packet numbers, but don't know how to determine
where the packets are dropped.  If you could shed light here that would be
great!

> oprofile output might help to identify CPU hot spots.

I'll check it out.  Never used oprofile before.

--
Stephen Hemminger	<shemminger@xxxxxxxx>