[Bridge] Packet loss/performance question

Hello,

I am attempting to build a bridge capable of functioning as near to gigabit
speeds as possible, with as many hundreds of thousands of packets per second
capabilities as possible.

My bridge system is a dual Opteron 246 (2.0Ghz); Tyan 2882 motherboard; 2 GB
PC3200 memory (1 GB in each CPU's bank; 128bit configuration); dual e1000
based NIC; 2.6.9 Kernel; NAPI enabled in the kernel and the NIC drivers; CPU
affinity ties each eth to a specific CPU; system otherwise idle.

Two test systems are connected, one to each interface in the Opteron.  Each
has a custom kernel with the Linux packet generator pktgen compiled as a
module.  Each test system can generate approximately 300,000 packets per
second.

Before testing the bridge, I tested each eth interface separately.  I
brought up one interface on the Opteron, configured pktgen on the test
machine attached to that interface (set the IP address and destination mac
address) and sent the packets.  Using /proc/net/dev I could see the packets
being received at the Opteron and zero errors.  I repeated this test on the
other interface with the same results.  Results the same regardless of
number of packets sent.  It was able to handle the 300,000pps without issue.

Next I brought up the bridge.  I reconfigured pktgen on one test machine to
send packets to the IP and MAC address on the other test machine (across the
bridge).  When I run pktgen I have about 20% packet loss.

I sent 100,000 packets;
eth4 received ~80,000 packets; dropper/errs of ~70,000; ~20,000 fifo
eth3 sent ~77,000 packets

Somewhere I lost 20,000 packets at the receiving interface and another three
thousand before transmitting to the other side of the bridge.

I built this system based on specs that should do better.  If this were
running netfilter then I'd expect a capacity of around 700Kpps.  What's
happening is fairly opaque to me, so I'm not sure what to tune or where to
look.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dan