[Bridge] bridge in 'hub' mode possible?

> Hi.
>
> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > Have you tried "brctl setageingtime br0 0" to turn off
> > forwarding table?
>
> I wonder if it would be worth to introduce some kind of "monitor
> interface" for a brigde (as can be found on switches, don't know if
> "monitor port" would be the correct term for it).
>
> The bridge could work as usual, while this virtual interface sees
every
> packet that traverses the bridge. tcpdump & co could be used on this
> interface when needed. As an addition it should be possible to
> enable/disable this interface using a new brctl command (something
like
> "brctl br0 monitor on|off").
>
> Comments? If there's interest in such a function I possibly could
spend
> some time on it after christmas.

I have already made one for the 2.4.20 kernel module and the 1.0.4
bridge-utils.  Since I was making this for the Emulab testbed I also had
to change the src/dst MACs that were going to the tap; otherwise, the
underlying switch would drop the mirrored packets as their MAC's were
not registered on the VLAN where the tap sat.

If people have any interest in this I can share with the code.

Roman