[Bridge] About simple bridging using Fedora Core 2

On Sat,  9 Oct 2004 12:49:35 +0800
Wu Yiu Kei <wuyiukei@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, I am a beginner of bridge. I have a problem of using Fedora Core 2 to make a
> simple bridge. Here is my setup:
>
> The bridge computer is installed with Fedore Core 2 (with the SE Linux patch).
> As I know that kernel 2.6.5 is already support bridging by default, so I didn't
> recompile the kernel. Then I installed bridge-utils-0.9.6-1.i386. And no
> additional configuration is made. After comfirming that the 2 ethernet cards
> for bridging (eth1 & eth2) are working properly, I build up a bridge by the
> following commands:

The bridge-utils package on sourceforge.net is up to 1.0.4, with 1.0.5
due out today.

> #ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 promisc
> #ifconfig eth2 0.0.0.0 promisc
Dont need to put them in promiscious mode.

> #brctl addbr mybridge
> #brctl addif eth1
> #brctl addif eth2
> #ifconfig mybridge up

How are you adding the IP address to mybridge (assuming you want that host
to talk on the internet). Usual is:
	ifconfig mybridge xx.xx.xx.xx

> Notice that eth1 is connect to the internet directly, and eth2 is connected to a
> host. After setting up the bridge, I tried to use the host to access the
> internet, but the behaviour is very strange. It seems that the traffic through
> the bridge is extremely slow. It's too slow to request even a webpage. But some
> tcp connection can really be established, like up2date. I have checked the
> memory of the bridge, but it doesn't seem to be run out of memory.
>
> So, what's wrong with my bridge? Could anyone help me?

Some useful info:

brctl show
brctl showstp mybridge
brclt showmacs mybridge