[Bridge] Re: Bridge Query...

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:41:59 -0800
"Awasthi, Vinay K" <vinay.k.awasthi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> I am running a bidirectional test after adding 2 adapters to the bridge.
> I am seeing that rate at one port is higher that the other. This does
> not happen when I run uni-directional traffic on either adapter. My
> configuration is as follows.

Is the bridge able to learn the addresses?  (ie brctl showmacs br0)
Also are you using ebtables as well?

What happens if you just send a few frames, what shows up on the
network?

> SMART BITS <----> ADAPTER1 <----> BRIDGE <----> ADAPTER2 <----> SMART
> BITS.
>

> STP is not enabled on the bridge.
>

> To run bidirectional traffic I set both smart bits to send broadcast
> packets to both adapters and see how many of these packets are received
> on each end...This error is more pronounced at jumbo frame sizes. I
> could not adjust MTU for BR0 device (this device is bridge). Now if I
> add devices in different order, I get different performance...(i.e. poor
> performance seems to follow the first adapter that was added...this does
> not happen all the time...).

MTU of bridge br0 (in 2.6 kernel) is the minimum of the devices in bridge.

> Can you tell me how I can configure bridge to simply pass ALL packets
> from one interface to other without looking into headers?

Not possible. That isn't what a 802.2 bridge does.

Other than performance test, what are you really trying to accomplish.
You just gave me facts, not a description of the real goa.