[Bridge] MTU Question

forgot to CC the list on this one...

> * also, the mtu of the bridge itself will always appear as 1500, but
>   you could change that with ifconfig.  Thought about having bridge mtu
>   appear as min(ports mtu), but don't think that is in the current version

I tried changing the MTU > 1500 on the bridge and I get "SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid
argument" (I'm using 2.4.24 W/ latest ebtables) but if I understand you
correctly that dosen't really matter anyway.

> The bridge does not care about frame size at all. It should be able
> to handle large frames, provided:
> * all interfaces in the bridge can handle the same big mtu, there is
>   no way a bridge can fragment.

That's kinda what I was afraid of... If I understand you correctly, if I
have some 100Mbit NICs in the same bridge, then even if I change the MTU of
the 1Gig NICs the MTU of packets coming in/out of the bridge will be that of
the slowest NIC (1500bytes) correct?

The reason I even care is that I am getting horrible speeds from the gigabit
NICs. In the neighborhood of about 150-200Mbps from the gigabit NICs when
doing a netcat between systems using /dev/zero -> /dev/null... That's just
crappy... even from 33Mhz PCI I should be getting like around 40-50MB/sec or
more I would think with RAM -> RAM. They're good NICs too, both EEPRO1000
using NAPI.

I can't really break up the bridges by speed either because you can't
enslave the same NICs to different bridges and I only have 1 cable modem ;)

I may have to just live with it because the bridge is working beautifully
as-is, firewalling cable modem traffic like a champ and serving files
perfectly through SAMBA too. I just don't like to leave things alone :)

Thank you for your quick reply on the last message, hopefully my questions
aren't too dumb... :)

    -Chris