[Bridge] bridge only works from certain ip addresses

Dear all,

after putting up a bridge to be used as a firewall with the following
configuration:

linux 2.6.4-52-smp kernel
bridge-utils 0.9.6-121
Bridge is setup standard with 2 NIC's and STP off.

I noticed  a strange behaviour; when connecting from an outside machine
with the same iprange as the inside machines (a.b.xxx.xxx) I could
connect. When trying the same from a non-local machine(c.d.xxx.xxx),
this didn't work. In both cases the first package arrives at the
firewallmachine at the INPUT chain, and the destination MAC-address is
correct in both cases. The package from a.b.xxx.xxx also enters the
FORWARD chain, but this doesn't work for c.d.xxx.xxx. I'd really
appreciate any help, if you need more info please tell me

Thanks in advance,

Maarten Hilgenga