[Bridge] Which NICs are the best for bridges?

I believe that the best NICs and driver for Linux Bridging would be the
Intel Gigabit cards and the Intel Gigabit driver.  IMHO, these are simply
the best cards and drivers for any O/S.  Even if you're only doing 100Mbps,
the technology advances and buffering in the Gigabit cards still make them
better.  If you're looking for something a little cheaper, you could try the
Intel 100 Mbps cards which are also excellent.  I do full-duplex 100Mbps
bridging through my Intel 100 Mbps cards and my system hardly breaks a sweat
(only 550 MHz PIII).  I can also tell you that most of the networking
appliances I deal with also use the Intel 100 Mbps cards or chipsets or the
Intel Gigabit ones.  I can tell you from talking with the vendors that this
is not a coincidence.  The Intel products are more expense, but I believe
they're worth it.

As for the RealTek chips, it depends on the card, but I use cards based on
the 8139 and don't have problems with them.  They just don't offer the same
level of performance as the Intel cards.  They are slower and use up more
CPU power.  A lot of people complain about them (not just in Linux) because
of poor documentation and support, but like I said, they work for me.

I can't speak to the VIA-Rhine models, I've never used them.

<> Jim