[Bridge] Strange DHCP behaviour with bridging

Here is the scenario: I have one server with kernel 2.4.24 with a bridge br0
made of 2 interfaces, eth0 and tap0 (the last is an OpenVPN tunnel), and one
remote computer connetting through tap0. If I assign a static IP to the
remote computer, the bridge works perfecly (so I think the problem is not
OpenVPN-related). If I start a DHCPd on the server and I configure the remote
client to get the IP from it, something strange happens: if I "sniff" on the
br0 interface, I can see the DHCP requests coming from the client (from
0.0.0.0.bootpc to 255.255.255.bootps) and the DHCPd answers going back from
ip.of.the.server.bootps to 255.255.255.255.bootpc; also sniffing on eth0
gives the same result, but if I sniff on the tap0 interface, I don't see the
replies! So the client never get its own IP. What I'm doing wrong? To add
some mistery, sometimes (one try out of 10)  the reply flows correctly to the
remote client. All the three interfaces (eth0, br0, tap0) doesn't have
firewalling enabled, and under /proc ip_forwarding is enabled and rp_filter
is disabled for all interfaces. brctl showmacs br0 correctly shows the remote
virtual interface MAC address as not local.Both eth0 and tap0 have been
configured with ifconfig 0.0.0.0 promisc up.
Thanks in advance.

Alessandro Fiorino