[Bridge] Fedora 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl

AJM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble applying ebtables-brnf-3_vs_2.4.22.diff to
> 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl. Applying the patch did not go well. Can anyone help me
> with this? TIA.
>
> Andy
I think you are running into Red Hat's backporting feature.  Please read
http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html.  The key point is
this "We can't please everyone, and backporting annoys some users who
always want to be upgraded to the latest and greatest releases. However,
in general, customers are more interested in stability, and the ability
to minimise the changes needed for their QA and deployment.

A patch is made for a specific kernel set of sources.  Red Hat Fedora
has applied various patchs in an order that the ebtables patch was not
designed for.  The patch may or may not have worked on an earlier
kernel.  FC1 just released a security fix today so the current kernel
rpm is kernel-2.4.22-1.2174...

Fedora is all about community involvement
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/.  They would like you to raise
bugzilla bugs to ask for new features.  Why don't you raise a bug so
that your desire to have ebtables-brnf-3_vs_2.4.22 patch in the 2.4
kernels series is made known?  However, FC2 test 1 is available with the
2.6 kernel
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/1.90/i386/.
  This release may still not have the ebtables code that you are looking
for.

I hope this helps.  I had a similar experience with LIS streams and Red
Hat 7.3.  After the second kernel rpm, the LIS patch no longer compiled.

Regards,
Greg Morgan