[Bridge] Bridge and PACKET-socket

On Monday 12 January 2004 22:02, Luke Gorrie wrote:
> Still, I find the current semantics of packet sockets on bridged ports
> pretty confusing. It took me a full day to figure out why I wasn't
> receiving the packets I wanted, even though tcpdump did.

Well, that list for protocol-specific functions contains functions to deal
with the packet, e.g. route it. Obviously we don't want these functions to be
executed before the bridge code can have a look at it, so that's not very
confusing.
If you really want to use the protocol-specific list for packets entering on a
bridge port, you can. Just use the ebtables brouting chain to "broute" the
packet, see the website. I guess you lose a little performance there, but you
shouldn't really feel it.

cheers,
Bart