[Bridge] Problem Bridging VLANs

Hi bridge list:
Bart de Schuymer suggested that this question might be better placed on
this list rather than in the ebtables area.  So here it is :
Hi listers:

    I am a relative Penquin Newcomer, and I am (therefore?) encountering
problems trying to setup a simple bridge/firewall between two vlans
sharing portions of the same subnet, x.y.z.0/24.  The VLANs are created
and managed by a campus wide arrangement of Nortel Baystack 450's. The
bridge machine has a "stock kernel" 2.6.0-test9, and two  3Com 905B
nics enslaved to a single bridge.   There are no rules installed yet, in
either ip- or ebtables.  The current network is on Port 1(eth0), and a
portion is moved to the NewVLAN on Port 2 (eth1)

Extent Network Vlan -->  Port1(eth0)[BridgeMachine]Port2(eth1) -->
NewVLAN network

    Problem:
    The firewalled side of the bridge (Port2, eth1) consistently moves
from "listening state" to "blocking state" and stays there. No
connections can be made across the bridge.  However, This seems to occur
only when the nic is sharing an IRQ.
    If the IRQ question is circumvented by fiddling with startup, a pair
of unique IRQs can be obtained for the nics.  Then both Ports of the
Bridge enter Forwarding state.
    But even in this case, when the bridge appears to be forwarding
traffic to both nics, (as seen by tcpdump), pings fail to reach across
the bridge.  Pings succeed when both sending and receiving hosts are on
the same side of bridge.   A SHOWMACs command shows primarily MACs on
the original network side (Port 1).  Only the bridge  MAC for eth1 and
the MAC of the 450 Switch show in the list,.  None of the MACS for the
hosts moved into NewVLAN show up at all.

    What do I need to successfully move traffic across the bridge?

Thanks in advance

Patrick Burr
systems Administrator
604 822-8932