Re: Invitation and RFC: Linux Plumbers Device Tree track proposed

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Rowand, Frank
<Frank.Rowand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In recent years there have been proposed tools to aid in the creation of valid
> device trees and in debugging device tree issues.  An example of this is the
> various approaches proposed (with source code provided) to validate device tree
> source against valid bindings.  As of today, device tree related tools,
> techniques, and debugging infrastructure have not progressed very far.  I have
> submitted a device tree related proposal for the Linux Plumbers 2015 conference
> to spur action and innovation in such tools, techniques, and debugging
> infrastructure.
>
> The current title of the track is "Device Tree Tools, Validation, and
> Troubleshooting".  The proposal is located at
>
>    http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2015:device_tree_tools_validation_and_trouble_shooting
>
> I am looking for several things at the moment:
>
>    1) Suggestions of additional topics to be discussed.

A few things on my list:

- Supported and not supported overlay usecases
- Tools for overlays - I think overlays has created new challenges in
validation and a need for new tools. How to test an overlay applies?
Generating a dtb from dts + overlay dts. Generating an overlay from a
diff of old and new dts (overlay as a way to update old dtbs)
- Shrinking the binding review fire hose. How to improve binding
documentation structure and review.
- Standardizing Android dtb handling. Appended DTB for arm64? Not
liked by upstream, but already in use.

>    2) Emails or other messages expressing an interest in attending the
>       device tree track.
>
>    3) Commitments to attend the device tree track (the conference committee
>       is looking at attendee interest and commitments as part of the process
>       of accepting the device tree track).

I plan to attend. I'm probably attending some of the Android mini conf
too, so I'll have to split my time.

>    4) Identifying additional people who should attend the device tree track.

Arnd Bergmann
Matt Porter
Jon Loeliger
Gaurav Minocha