Re: Why is the deferred initcall patch not mainline?

On 18.10.2014 10:11, Bird, Tim wrote:
The answer is pretty easy, I think.  I tried to mainline it once but failed, and didn't really try again. If it is being found useful,  we should try to mainline it again,  this time with more persistence.  The reason it got rejected before IIRC was that you can accomplish a similar thing with modules, with no changes to the kernel. But that doesn't cover the case where the loadable modules feature of the kernel is turned off, which is common in very small systems.

Just some other uses cases: You want to avoid the overhead of ELF module loading, even if module loading is on. We've seen a lot of cases where the overall boot time is a lot faster having the driver in the kernel than loading it as module. Even if the kernel size and therefore its load time increases with this.

And if you want to have the driver quite early, earlier than the user space loads the modules. But want to have the delay/wait time of that driver to be running _after_ you have mounted the rootfs.

Thanks

Dirk

Btw.: Does anybody have the correct mail address of Chris? Maybe he has some opinions on this, too, as his talk is the starting point of this discussion ;)

---- Dirk Behme wrote ----

Hi,

During the ELCE 2014 in Duesseldorf in Chris Hallinan's talk [1] there
has been the unanswered question why the deferred initcall patch [2]
isn't mainline, yet.

Anybody remembers?

Best regards

Dirk