Re: Embedded Linux Flag Version

On 11/10/2010 2:16 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:17, Tim Bird wrote:
On 11/09/2010 03:19 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 18:07, Tim Bird wrote:
It was noted at the summit that several CE companies and embedded
projects will be using (or are already using) 2.6.35 for upcoming
products or releases. This includes Sony, Google, Meego, and Linaro. On
behalf of the CE Linux Forum and a number of consumer electronics
companies, projects and community developers, we therefore declare
2.6.35 as a flag version of the kernel for embedded use. Several
companies will be investing in development, integration and testing of
this version. Entities wanting to do business with those companies would
therefore be well-advised to make sure their hardware, drivers and
enhancements work well with this version of the kernel.
wouldnt it make more sense to piggy back the extensive work going into
the "stable" tree ?  many of the points you raise after all are the
entire founding point of it.  plus, all the main distros form around
that, are spending time working on that, is marked as supported for 2
or 3 years, and there is already infrastructure/framework/process in
place (stable@xxxxxxxxxx).

so instead of picking arbitrary versions (like 2.6.35) and needlessly
replicating the huge work load, simply declare these stable trees as
the "flag" versions.  that means today it'd be 2.6.32.y.
The fact that this tree is already a year old, and not likely to be
brought forward for at least another 2 years is the reason we didn't
choose it this time.  Most of the high-profile, active embedded projects
are already on 2.6.35.  For companies looking to adopt a new base kernel
in the next 12 months, I don't want to have them start with a year-old
kernel.  We did consider the utility of synchronizing with the enterprise
stable tree, but the timing just didn't work too well this time around.
so you're suggesting this is a one-off choice.  in the future, the
"flag" versions will simply piggy the existing stable trees ?
Yes, if the timing works then.
I can't promise anything, but I think it would be a very strong goal.
 -- Tim