Re: Avoiding platform-specific callbacks in drivers?

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> Let's say that on a given platform, I need to twiddle with a GPIO pin
> when a chip enters and exits suspend.

What driver?  What platform?  This may depend on those.

> One way to do that is to hack the driver itself; a slightly
> less-inelegant way is to add a function pointer in the platform data,
> and have the driver call back in its suspend() and resume() methods.
> I'm not real keen on either strategy, because they both involve
> touching driver code that should be platform-agnostic.  They seem...
> hacky.  :)

Sure.  but if it makes sense for your hardware to do this GPIO
twiddling, maybe someone else is doing that too.  In which case a driver
solution might be justifiable.

> I would love to come up with a way that prevents touching the driver
> at all, since the activity is terribly platform-specific. Is there
> such a way?
>
> One possibility is to set up some sort of parent-child relationship
> between the device and a pseudo-device that deals with the GPIO pin.
> But I'm not sure that will actually work, and it seems a bit
> overly-complicated.

That would still be your best bet.  The pseudo-device could register the
real device and set itself as the parent.

Nicolas