Re: How to spin down the SATA hard drive on ARM target (Open-RD)?

Hello again,

I post an update below the original.

2010/10/25 Pawel Suchanecki <subdcc@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to achieve the HDD _simple_ power saving function on
> Open-RD Client device, running Linux 2.6.22 / 2.6.36.
>
> The simplification is that I just need to spin the disk down and then
> sit quietly waiting for IC2 port expander's IRQ (button press) to
> reboot the system.
>
> Is the `sg_stat --stop' command from sg3_utils package capable of
> performing the disk spin down for SATA device (WD) on this armish
> platform?
> If not, please direct me to proper solution.
>
> Is it feasible running full power saving mode (i.e. using spindown
> daemon [1]) to be able to wake the hard disk and resume normal system
> operation?

I forgot to mention that the standard approach (i.e. hdparm -y / -Y )
does not work for me:

root@XXXX:~# df -h | grep -E "Filesystem|sda"
Filesystem           Size           Used           Avail
Use%           Mounted on
/dev/sda1             344G            26G          305G
8%           /mnt/disk

root@XXXX:~# hdparm -y /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 issuing standby command
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(standby) failed: Input/Output error

root@XXXX:~# hdparm -Y /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 issuing sleep command
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(sleep) failed: Input/Output error

root@XXXX:~# hdparm -I /dev/sda1

/dev/sda:
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(indentify) failed: Input/Output error

Using sdparm I get the device model instead of the command executed as
in this request:

root@XXXX:~# sdparm -C stop /dev/sg0
     /dev/sg0: WDC           WD3000BLFS-01YBU 04.0

Also as you already may noticed, the hard drive itself is WDC VelociRaptor.

Is it possible that the VelociRaptor  -- due to being targeted at the
enterprise market -- does not support power saving functions?

How can this happen that hdparm replies with IO error when the device
is there (and serving a working filesystem) ?

Thanks,
Pawel.