Re: Linux Plumbers Embedded microconference

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 17:32 -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> I'm now getting around to drafting the agenda for the embedded
> microconference.  From looking at the proposals and some of the recent
> mailing list discussions, there are some topics that bubble up to the
> surface for me:
>
> 1) Device model usage - Support for runtime PM has been a hot topic,
> but the way the device model is populated and used on embedded
> platforms also has impact on correct initialization ordering, and how
> to instantiate 'system' devices composed of multiple discrete devices
> across the system.  ie. connecting a codec and a DAI in ASoC.
>
> 2) Device Tree, HWMOD, static pdata, SFI, and other methods for
> teaching the kernel about the machine.
>
> 3) Common infrastructure beyond the kernel.  Android has fastboot and
> other tools.  Many folks use u-boot for development, but something
> custom (smaller) for deployment.  Are there any other tools/techniques
> from Android/MeeGo/Linaro/WebOS/etc. that would be useful to a wider
> audience.  Tim Bird has offered to lead this discussion.
>
> 4) Asymmetric multiprocessing (AMP) intercommunication.  Cores are
> cheap, hardware is built with lots of them but how do they
> communicate?  This is an issues for DSPs and for embedded
> virtualization.  Syslink has been proposed.  Freescale PowerPC has
> multicore chips that can be carved up for AMP.  Patches have been
> circulated to repurpose virtio for interprocessor communication.

> 1 & 2 are somewhat interrelated as they are both aspects of embedded
> requirements on the device model.  I'm not sure, but I may end up
> merging these two topics to a degree.  My impression is that the same
> problems are being wrestled with in different problem domains.  I'd
> like to schedule 3 or 4 people to give a brief (10-15min) overview of
> how they need devices registered, and how it fits in with the driver
> model, followed by discussion.  Hopefully it will identify areas where
> common solution can/should be implemented.  Or in other words; take
> our own blinders off for a bit and see how other people are solving
> the same problems.  :-)
>
> Here is my draft list:
>
> Kevin: How HWMOD is used to describe interconnections between internal
> SoC devices.
> Mark or Liam: ASoC - How what needs to be done to collect disparate
> devices (codecs, audio controllers, etc) into a single SoC device.
> Jeremy: Populating the device model with device tree external data (why and how)
> (I'm also open to other suggestions)
>
> Mark and Liam, I know you haven't made a proposal to do this, but if
> you'd be willing I think it would be valuable.

> The AMP IPC topic is interesting to me, but I'd like to get some
> feedback before I commit to it.  I would schedule it the same way that
> the device model discussion is organized; 3-4 overviews 10-15 minutes
> each followed by discussion.  Right now I've got a proposal from the
> TI folks to talk about Syslink.  Freescalers, what say you?  Could I
> [...]

Hi Grant,

Do you have a draft agenda yet for the microconf?  Specifically, I'd
like to get a better feel for how much time we'll dedicate to each
topic, and therefore be better prepared for the discussions.

Also, some TI folks are asking me if I know whether the AMP topic is
going to be discussed.  TI is actively working on this and would like to
participate in any discussions.  Their 1st generation code for this is
in staging (tidspbridge) while the 2nd generation is under active
deveopment with some of the lead developers planning to be at LPC.

Kevin