Re: Freescale MPC8313 TSEC SGMII problem.

Johnny Hung <johnny.hacking <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a Freescale MPC8313 customized board and want to confiugre
> TSEC1 to SGMII. Would you please help me for this question,
>
> 1). Is it possible for MPC8313 TSEC1 connect to Ethernet Switch by
> SGMII (without phy), like below diagram.
>
> [MPC8313 TSEC1]  <====SGMII====> [Ethernet Switch]

This is not possible. The MAC signals have to travel through SERDES, PCS layer
and the rate adaptation blocks of the PHY. For instance, in the transmit
direction, the differential pair transmit and transmit-clock signals are
de-serialised and passed through PCS to recover the SGMII signals. This then
passes through the rate adaptation block to output the data at the Ethernet port
speed.