Re: /dev/fw major not constant (embedded mdev devtmpfs ieee1394)

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Paul Chavent <paul.chavent@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'am working on an embedded gnu/linux system that allow to capture an
> ieee1394 stream.
[...]
> But when i needed to modify my kernel configuration, it has changed the
> major number of /dev/fw*.
[...]
> The linux ieee1394 wiki people give me some idea
> (http://marc.info/?t=126390679500003&r=1&w=2) :
>  - maintain a local patch for making the major constant
>  - use devtmpfs
>
> I prefer to try devtmpfs, but i would like to have your opinion on how would
> you do for me ?

devtmpfs is probably your best bet as that is what it is designed for.
 You can also run a trivial script at boot to read /proc/devices and
create the device nodes as described in chapter 3, page 47 of LDD3:

http://lwn.net/images/pdf/LDD3/ch03.pdf

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.