Re: [Celinux-dev] CELF Project Proposal- Refactoring Qi, lightweight bootloader

On Wednesday 23 December 2009 03:29:22 Andy Green wrote:
> On 12/23/09 08:56, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>
> Hi -
>
> >> yourself because it's the buildroot mindset, that whole task
> >> disappears  with a distro basis.
> >
> > If you don't step into for example toolchain problems or other crazy
> > things...
>
> Again this is buildroot thinking.  The distro provides both the native
> and cross toolchains for you.  You're going to want to use the same
> distro as you normally use on your box so the cross toolchain installs
> as a package there.

Because boards that use things like uClibc and busybox just aren't interesting
to you?

Please don't confuse "development environment" with "build environment".  A
development environment has xterms and IDEs and visual diff tools and a web
browser and PDF viewer and so on.  A build environment just compiles stuff to
produce executables.  (Even on x86, your fire breathing SMP build server in the
back room isn't necessarily something you're going to VNC into and boot a
desktop on.)

I agree it's nice to have a build environment compatible with your deployment
environment, and distros certainly have their advantages, but you may not want
to actually _deploy_ 48 megabytes of /var/lib/apt from Ubuntu in an embedded
device.

Rob