CDC ACM composite gadget serial not working between Linux and Windows?

Hi,

I've found this comment in f_acm.c, 2.6.27:

 * Note that even MS-Windows has some support for ACM.  However, that
 * support is somewhat broken because when you use ACM in a composite
 * device, having multiple interfaces confuses the poor OS.  It doesn't
 * seem to understand CDC Union descriptors.  The new "association"
 * descriptors (roughly equivalent to CDC Unions) may sometimes help.

Does this mean I will not be able to successfully connect a Linux box
to a Windows PC via the Linux box's CDC ACM composite gadget serial
driver?

Also, there are direct references to the composite driver in f_acm.c,
which tells me the following:

-In Linux (2.6.27), a CDC ACM gadget serial driver MUST be a composite
driver as well.

Is this true? If so why is such tight coupling required?

Please suggest an alternate list if this message is inappropriate for this list.

Cheers,
Daniel