Re: Kernel crashing and log buffers...

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 07:27:16PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 13:53, David VomLehn wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:26:40PM -0400, Robin Getz wrote:
> > Our kernel does crash, so we have to do this. I had submitted a patch a
> > while ago that tweaks emit_log_char, but this was bounced, reasonably,
> > because it would be interferring with the great majority of people who
> > are not interested in capturing log output. The suggestion was made that
> > we do this with a console driver. I've recently got a version working, as
> > a module, but I've only started testing of the version integrated into the
> > kernel tree.  Still, post early, post often, so I've appended a version
> > of the patch here to see if this seems to be the right direction.
>
> i guess there's two distinct crash types: early and late.  your
> console driver seems like it should be able to handle the "late"
> variety ok (i.e. the kernel is up and running and at some point, it
> blows up).  but it doesnt address the early crashes which is what
> we're currently looking for (i.e. kernel crash occurs before the
> serial console is up and running).
>
> i think extending this driver to include early printk support should
> address that ?

If you really want to see really early output, I don't think this will give
you more benefit than simply looking at log_buf through your favorite kernel
debugging tool. Which is something I do with some regularity, so I know that
it can be a bit of a pain. It may be helpful if you can say a bit more about
the problem you are trying to solve.

> -mike

David VomLehn